February: Caring for your Brakes and Rotors
February: Caring for Your Brakes and Rotors
Shop talk with Jim features Mr. Jim Raney who has been in the service industry for over 20 years as a Service Technician, Master Technician, and Parts/Services Manager. Each month we sit down with Jim to get tips and tricks to make sure our cars are performing properly and to answer any questions our readers may have.
Jim: “Having properly functioning brakes are important for the safety of you and the others around you. Letting brake pads wear down too far can cause serious damage to your braking system and ultimatly cost you much more money than the cost of getting the pads replaced.”
Jim: "Becoming self aware about your brakes can save you a lot of time and money, the tips below should always be in your mind when analyzing your brake performance."
If you have any of the problems below please schedule a time to speak with a service advisor and get the problems fixed immediately.
- The brake warning light comes on.
- Your car pulls to one side when pressing on the brakes; properly functioning brakes should allow you to stop straight.
- Your car jerks to a stop when you press the brakes
- You have to pump the brakes to get them to work right.
- You brakes grind uninterrupted and you hear a loud metallic noise when you press down on them.
- You see fluid leaks around any wheel or in the engine compartment near the master cylinder.
Jim: "Most of these problems can be found before any serious damage is done by getting a free brake inspection from your local dealer."
If you have any questions you would like to ask Jim Raney to have answered in our next Shop Talk with Jim email him HERE.
Also check us out on our website, SouthPointHyundai.Com